Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Time to Get Out of Dodge



I had a fantastic last day at the Film Festival. Here's a snap of Paris waving goodbye to me as I left for the airport. She was on her way out to a screening of Yoav Paz's PHOBIDILIA, one of the controversial films from Israel.

I packed and left my belongings at the hotel and trekked over to the Cumberland to watch LEAVES OF GRASS, written by director/actor Tim Blake Nelson and starring Edward Norton playing twins who have taken very diverse paths in life. A pal at Skywalker Sound worked on it and it was great to see someone I knew on the credits. Taking the time to make sure I got in my last chicken hot dog, I headed over to the Varsity to get a place early in line to see one of the hottest films of the Festival, Tom Ford's A SINGLE MAN. Tremendous (I mean) tremendous film. Smart, sexy, nuanced, stylish - and was the first film to be bought at the festival by The Weinstein's. Set in Southern California in the early 1960's, the film tells the tale of George Falconer (Colin Firth, hot off his Venice Film Festival Best Actor win), a professor who recently lost his long-time lover in a tragic accident. The story is based on a novel by Christopher Isherwood. I am willing to bet $100 that there was at least one Don Bachardy sketch used in the set design. Look for this film at a Sundance Cinema near you.
At the airport I had my last star sighting - Colin Farrel being dropped off in a cloud of handlers, including airline personnel who made sure that his travel plans did not include mixing with the unwashed masses. I was just about to snap a shot as proof and badly needed art for the blog, when I remembered that Colin was 2 for 2 on beating up photographers at TIFF.
Great year for film - watch the Coming Soon feature on our website for our upcoming programs. Until Sundance....

No comments:

Post a Comment